Why should young children mask?
During the February Commission Meeting, Dr. Stephanie Nguyen Lai, pediatrician at Palo Alto Medical Foundation, and Dr. Mary Rhee, pediatrician at Kaiser Permanente, presented valuable information about masking in young children. Their review of masking policies, data, and testimonials from local preschools provided insights about the benefits of masking in young children, including:
● Masks protect others as well as wearers
● Children mildly symptomatic
● Children can both be infected by COVID-19 and spread to others
● Outbreaks have been reports in daycares, schools, and camps
● Prevention of other respiratory illnesses