The deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor are tragic reminders of the country’s legacy of racism and discrimination that harm all our communities.
First 5 San Mateo County stands against racism, oppression, and inequality in all its forms. We stand in solidarity with our fellow First 5s across California and with all who pursue equity, justice, and human dignity. We know that experiences of bias, social, and systemic racism begin before a child is even born. The resulting fear, stress, and trauma steal away the full potential from each child and family.
The Pediatric Infectious Disease Society states “Structural racism is more harmful to the health and well-being of children than infectious diseases, including COVID-19.”
Our work is about seeing inequity in the lives of children and families and trying to do something about it. We look forward to continuing to partner with parents and leaders throughout San Mateo County and at the state to change conditions that affect child development and family well-being.
The mission of First 5 is more important now than ever: all children have the right to grow up healthy, safe, and with every opportunity.
EmbraceRace provides tools and resources to help us raise children who are resilient, inclusive, and able to address racial equity. https://www.embracerace.org/
Beverly Daniel Tatum, Is my Skin Brown Because I Drank Chocolate Milk?
In sharing a story about her preschool-aged son, Dr. Tatum explains how it is the things we don’t say that find their way into racist dialogue and thinking.
NAEYC, Becoming Upended: Teaching and Learning about Race and Racism with Young Children and Their Families.
Schools, in collaboration with families, have an important role to play in fostering young children’s positive racial identities. Here is an extensive resource for early childhood educators to learn and teach about race and racism.
Teaching for Change.
Teaching for Change provides teachers and parents with the tools to create schools where students learn to read, write and change the world. https://www.teachingforchange.org/
First 5 San Mateo County is entrusted with the strategic investment of nearly $7 million of public dollars each year specifically earmarked to help children and families in our county succeed. We work on behalf of the more than 53,000 children ages 0-5 living here to ensure their every need is met, their families are supported and their future is a priority.
- Commission Meeting:
July 27, 2020 Packet
July 27, 2020 PPT Presentations
- Program, Operations, and Planning (POP) Committee Meeting:
September 14, 2020 Packet
- Finance Committee Meeting:
September 14, 2020 Packet
- EC Evaluation Advisory Committee Meeting:
October 19, 2020 Packet
- Commission Meetings Archive
Packets are posted 72 hours in advance.
- Corona Virus (COVID-19) Information
- Census 2020 is Here!
- TRISI Initiative Consultant, Facilitator, and Coach RFQ
- Communications RFQ
- Quality Care & Education: Quality Improvement & Expanded Access for Children with Special Needs ITN
- Integrated Systems for Children with Special Needs ITN
- Resilient Families 2020 RFP
- Build Up SMC/Achieving Tomorrow: Voices – San Mateo County Launch Video
- Quality Counts SMC Website
- Help Me Grow San Mateo County
- Watch Me Grow, San Mateo
- San Mateo County ACEs Connection
- Cómo Los Padres De Niños Pequeños Están Formando Resiliencia Durante COVID-19
- How Parents of Young Children are Building Resiliency During COVID-19
- Child Wellbeing: Structure is Soothing
- Child Wellbeing: Communicate and Connect to Reduce Stress During COVID-19
- How to Find Community Support and Stay Connected During COVID-19